ROTTERDAM | ROUND AND ROUND

15:47:00

This year I promised myself to step a little bit out of my comfort zone and try new things, including food. Yes, definitely including food. Recently I decided I needed to have a reunion with my old classmates from Chinese class. We decided to go to Round and Round in Rotterdam.


Round and round is a café on Hoogstraat, next to Woei, a sneaker store. It is small, but very cute. It's the perfect place to meet with a friend for a coffee date or to study, because it's not noisy at all in the café. 

We took a long time to make up our mind about our order, as we are all very indecisive people, but in the end we decided to order a matcha latte (me), an iced latte caramel (Madeline) and a matcha coffee with red beans (Yu). 

I had never tried a matcha drink before, but everyone had been raving about matcha, so I had high expectations, especially since it looked so cute. I ordered a matcha latte and was very dissapointed. It tasted like coffee, but with green tea powder on top. It was as if I was drinking two seperate drinks and not a blended matcha latte. This didn't really fullfill my expectations.

However, the iced caramel latte was delicious and definitely my favorite. The red bean matcha coffee wasn't too bad either. It was on the sweet side, but I liked it alot. 

Top: iced caramel latte
Bottom: matcha latte (left) | red bean coffee (right)
 I wasn't planning on ordering some food, but I am so glad I did. Japanese pancakes are definitely my favorite now. These pancakes are the best pancakes I have ever eaten in my life. The fluffiness of these pancakes is out of this world. I was shook, which sounds abit excessive, but I am deadserious. We ordered the butter pancake with honey (me), the strawberry pancake (Madeline) and the chocolate caramel pancake (Yu)

Starting off with my order, the butter pancake with honey. I was so surprised by how fluffy the pancake was and how natural it tasted. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of honey, I find the taste sometimes too overwhelming, but they just added the right amount. It was delicious.

Then Madelines pancake (we did share everything abit), my favorite. I wish I ordered this pancake. Sounds crazy, but not the biggest fan of strawberries either. However, on this pancake it was perfect. The pancakes have layers and every layer had some strawberries and cream, topped with honey. Everything was added in just the right amount, so you could taste every ingredient without one being too overwhelming. The taste was very balanced.

Finally Yu's pancake, the caramel chocolate banana pancake. I expected this one to be the best or worst one. My explanation? Because it's chocolate and caramel, my absolute favorite, but these two together could also be very overwhelming. This wasn't the case at all. Every layer was again topped with bananas and the taste was again very balanced. It didn't feel like you were just eating sugar. The banana added the freshness and the caramel and chocolate sauce was just the cherry on top. I prefered the strawberry pancake, but this one came very close at being my favorite.
Top plate: strawberry pancake
Right plate: chocolate caramel banana pancake
Left plate: Honey butter pancake
This place was definitely worth the visit and I will surely return. 
Any new food places or food sorts I should try? Let me know!

Love,
Yet


You Might Also Like

0 reacties